Find out if you are entitled to these benefits.
You can contact the Tax Credit Helpline on 0845 300 3900 or textphone 0845 300 3909 open from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm seven days a week.
• Child Benefit – Child Benefit is a tax-free payment that you can claim for your child. It is usually paid every four weeks but in some cases can be paid weekly, and there are separate rates for each child. The payment can be claimed by anyone who qualifies, whatever their income or savings.
There are two separate amounts, with a higher amount for your eldest (or only) child. In 2008-09, you will get £20.00 a week for your oldest child and £13.20 a week for each of your other children.
• Child Tax Credit – Tax credits are payments from the government. If you’re responsible for at least one child or young person who normally lives with you and your household income is less than £58,000 (£66,000 if you have a child who is less than a year old), you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. You do not have to work to claim child tax credit.
• Working Tax Credit – when you apply for the Child Tax Credit you are automatically applying for the Working Tax Credit (WTC). To claim this tax credit you or your partner needs to work at least 16 hours per week. The WTC has a lower income threshold, it helps top up low wages and also help to pay towards the cost of registered childcare.
The WTC will pay up to 80% of registered or approved childcare, to a maximum of £140 for one child and £240 for two children or more per week. Please note that this is means tested.
• Income Support – If you can’t be available for full-time work and don’t have enough money to live on, you may be able to get Income Support benefit. For a single parent the rates are, under 18 – £47.95 and18 or over – £60.50. To make a claim, call 0800 055 6688 (8am – 6pm Monday to Friday).
If you’re entitled to Income Support, you automatically qualify for free dental care, free prescriptions, free school meals, Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit
• Jobseeker’s Allowance is the main benefit for people who are out of work. If you are eligible it is paid when you don’t have a job and are looking for work. You need to be actively looking for work and can make a claim for this benefit by calling 0800 055 6688 (8am – 6pm Monday to Friday).